Whether you’re renovating your kitchen or simply looking to upgrade your tap, there are so many options on the market and with modern kitchen taps coming in so many shapes and sizes, it can be tricky to know where to begin.
In this blog post, we'll take a look at modern kitchen taps and what you should consider when choosing one for your space. Read on to learn more!
Types of Kitchen Taps
There are different types of kitchen taps to choose from, here are some of the most popular options on the market:
By Water System
- Mixer taps: perfect for modern water systems, they mix water in the body of the tap. The pressure of hot and cold must be close or equal.
- Dual flow taps: ideal for older water systems, they mix water on the exit from the spout of the tap. The pressure of hot and cold may be different, for example, gravity fed hot and cold directly from mains.
- Monoblock taps: single body taps that need one hole on a sink/worktop when fitting.
- Pillar taps: two separate taps for hot and cold. They require two holes on a sink/worktop when fitting.
- Bridge tap: a single body tap that needs two holes on a sink/worktop when fitting.
- Pull out taps: these can be monoblock or bridge. They come with an extension hose and are perfect for commercial settings or busy kitchens.
- Pull down taps: these can be monoblock or bridge and come with a flexible spout that doesn't extend any longer than it is. This makes it easy to rinse down your sink and clean hard-to-reach places.
- Filter taps: designed with special filters to remove impurities and contaminants from the water supply. These are perfect if you want easy access to clean water or are trying to reduce your plastic usage.
- Boiling water taps: provide instant boiling water making them a great choice cooking and cleaning.
Things to Consider When Choosing Modern Kitchen Taps
The first thing you need to consider when shopping for kitchen taps is what kind of needs it will have to meet. Think about whether you need features such as a spout that swivels or a filter tap for clean water. You should also consider the flow rate and pressure of the tap as well as whether it comes with a guarantee.
Of course, budget is a major factor when choosing a kitchen tap. You’ll find kitchen sink taps in all price ranges so it’s important to determine how much you can spend. After deciding what features are most important to you, you can prioritise them in your search and find options that fit within your budget. It’s also worth bearing in mind that cheaper models may require more maintenance than pricier ones, so it’s a good idea to factor that into your decision.
The next thing to think about is style. Do you prefer something modern or traditional? Do you want something that stands out? Or perhaps something more subtle and understated? There are plenty of modern and traditional styles available, so take some time and choose one that fits with the overall aesthetic of your home. If possible, take photos of your other appliances before shopping so that you can compare them directly with potential taps and get an idea of which would look good together.
Modern kitchen taps are typically made from brass, stainless steel, zinc or plastic. Metal taps tend to be more durable and last longer, while plastic taps usually have a cheaper price tag, but may not last as long.
Size and Shape of Your Sink
The size and shape of your kitchen sink will affect which type of kitchen tap you should go for. Think about whether you need a single-hole or double-hole tap and make sure the spout is long enough to reach far enough into your sink.
Finally, you’ll need to consider whether or not the tap needs to be professionally installed. Most taps can be installed by a competent DIYer but some require specialist knowledge and should only be handled by a qualified plumber.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of finishes are available for modern kitchen taps?
Modern kitchen taps come in a variety of finishes designed to match any styles. Choose from chrome, brushed nickel or gold for a timeless look, or go for something more unique such as matte black, rose gold or antique bronze for an eye-catching feature piece.
What is the best way to maintain kitchen taps?
To keep your kitchen tap in good condition, it’s important to clean it regularly and check for any corrosion or leaks. Minimise hard water staining by wiping down the tap after every use with a damp cloth and a mild detergent or vinegar cleaner.
Additionally, make sure to check the connections and seals for any signs of wear and tear and replace them if needed. Finally, periodically flush out the spouts with a mix of vinegar and water to remove any residue build-up.
How often should I replace my kitchen tap?
The average lifecycle of a kitchen tap is around 8-10 years, depending on usage and maintenance. If you’re noticing any signs of corrosion or leaking, it may be time to replace your tap before larger issues arise. Additionally, if the style of your kitchen has changed over time and you’d like to update the overall look, replacing your kitchen tap can do just that.
Do I need a professional to install my kitchen tap?
It’s possible to install your kitchen tap yourself if you have the right tools and plumbing knowledge, but it’s always best to hire a professional for more complex installations. A qualified plumber will be able to ensure that everything is installed correctly and safely, giving you peace of mind that your tap is in good working order.
No matter what type of modern kitchen tap you choose for your home, it's important that it meets all of your needs while also adding style to your space. With so many different types available on the market today, there's bound to be one that fits perfectly into your budget and design scheme.Take some time to research before investing in any new tap so that you can be sure it's exactly what you need - and looks amazing too! If you have any further questions about kitchen sink taps or any of our other products then don't hesitate to contact us! Our team of experts at HOUSE OF ENKI will be happy to help.